Skip to main content

Where have all the Manners Gone?

The fast pace of out modern plugged in society has had many effects not the least of which is the erosin of common courtesy.

The most alarming example of this is the answering of a cell phone when in the company of another person.

I consider it very rude when I am at a social ocasion and I am conversing with someone whose cell phone rings and in mid sentence without loosing a beat they answer their cell phone and leave me hanging. When I was a salesfloor Associate trying to help customers on the floor or at a cash register I would experience this phenomena quite often. Picture this: a customer is at a cash register having their items rung through with a line of people behind them who are waiting to pay for their purchases. The customer at the register gets a call on their cell phone. They proceed to take it. All this customer's items are rung up and bagged. I am standing there ready to take their payment. The customer continues to talk on their cell phone and hold up everyone in the line. They do not conclude their transaction by paying until their phone conversation ends.

WORD TO THE WISE ... if you are unable to multi-task turn your cell phone off when you plan to do activities that involve other people. When did we all become such slaves to our devices? We have become like the pavlovian dogs. We react to the sound of the ringer without even thinking. The majority of cell phones have call display. I would suggest that if you are presently engaged with a human being that it is rude to answer your cell phone until the interchange with the "now" person is at its conclusion.

Are we creatures of reaction or do we still have a will of our own? Is it even possible to say "excuse me" before we answer our cell phone? Some people do this. I appreaciate it! The rest of us need to learn how to say those two little words.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

the fine art of saying no

In our society , in some circles , saying no to anyone at any time for any reason has become taboo. It is currently fashionable to be a positive person and go around saying yes to everything and everyone we encounter. Well in my life thus far I have learned after being on the planet for almost 48 years that attempting to do that is not "doable" and actually could be viewed as its own special form of OCD. I have tried to do it and find that I end up feeling like a rung out, torn up old dish rag for all my efforts. There is more merit and value, I have learned, in choosing how to invest your time in those things that are worthwhile to you and enrich your existance in some way. We do not always have the choice to say no. We are most of us tied to jobs and commitments in which we have already entered into agreements whereby we must comply to many things. What I am suggesting is that in the little bit of time and space you still call your own, do not be afraid to stand up and proc...

The Circles of Life

Think of yourself as a circle in the middle of your own life. Everyone else is a circle unto themselves, but each circle exists within a larger circle like family, work, church , city, country and world. The places at which any individuals circle voluntarily intersects with another is the moment of creativity, love and joy. This is the moment that many report they do not experience often enough. If your circle doesn't intersect then you are not actually of the world you are only in it. Within our own circle is safety, but personal growth can only happen at the point of intersection. Global change also happens when the circles overlap . We have all the problems of the world to resolve. History has taught us that civilizations that lasted the longest managed to do that by employing inclusion. We can effect the outcomes of our lives and our planet if we choose to let each other in and cooperate using all our talents and abilities with acceptance and tolerance.